TIPS FOR FINDING INEXPENSIVE TICKETS
1. Begin your search as early as possible…check every week starting as early as 11 months in advance. That’s when most airlines release their tickets. Have an idea for the price you want to pay and PURCHASE immediately when you see a fare in your price range.
FOR INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL: The best time to purchase is 11-12 weeks prior to departure.
3. What is the best DAY to fly to book your vacation? Plan to FLY OUT on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Saturday for the best price on tickets, due to the fact there are fewer travelers on these days. Fridays and Sundays are usually the most expensive days to fly. Try these combinations:
- Domestic: depart Saturday, return on a Monday.
- International: depart Tuesday, return on a Wednesday.
4. Be flexible with your travel dates. Search a few days, or even weeks, either side of your preferred departure date.
5. Change Departure times. Change the time of day you plan to fly. Often this will help you find the best price. Usually, the cheapest flights leave either early in the morning or late at night.
6. Inquire for the least expensive payment method. Sometimes the most inexpensive way to pay is not a credit card! Be sure to ask in advance if they have a preferred method of payment. But, don’t forget to use your credit card for frequent flyer points on more costly flights.
8. Add a layover. A longer layover may allow for some shopping AND a cheaper ticket!
11. STA Travel’s Exclusive Tickets can save students and those under 26 substantially!
12. Beware of those refundable tickets! Purchase these only if you have a high risk of cancellation, such as traveling during peak season of bad weather or if you happen to have medical conditions which could limit your travel.
13. Avoid luggage fees by traveling LIGHT! Or book with airlines that don’t charge fees, or will waive bag fees for frequent flyers or members of its credit-card program. If you do need to check baggage, pay for it in advance rather than at the airport.